A Script in Time

Here's something that really interests me - and it starts with a beautiful typeface. It's called Zaner and we've used it in the magazine for a little on a year now. I was drawn to its delicate swishes and dramatic swashes. It's pretty without being twee.




The word 'fabulous' is set in Zaner

So when I was reading the Iampeth website today and found this sample...



I was intrigued. This wonderful letter was labelled C. P. Zaner. Now that's a name I know. As it turns out, the typeface we use today in the 21st century is based on the work of a penman from Charles Paxton Zaner, born 1864 in Pennsylvania, USA. It all makes sense now - the font we use today has all the characteristics of his work.

I so love that we can embrace the skills and aesthetics of an era long gone, but interpret them in a contemporary way, making them relevant to our modern day lives. It has made me wonder how many of the products we use and see every day are actually influenced by a time long past.

Posted by Jane Cameron
You have read this article Stationery with the title A Script in Time. You can bookmark this page URL http://celebratetheyear.blogspot.com/2009/09/a-script-in-time.html. Thanks!

No comment for "A Script in Time"

Post a Comment